Bosnian Serb leader appeals 40-year sentence for Srebrenica genocide 

Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic on Friday appealed his 40-year prison sentence after being found guilty of genocide by a UN international criminal court in The Hague.

In the appeal, Karadicz argues that he did not receive a fair trial and is seeking acquittal or a new trial. The prosecution also filed an appeal on Friday seeking a life sentence for the 71-year-old.

Karadzic was sentenced in March after the UN International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) ruled that he was responsible for a campaign of terror with the aim of ethnically cleansing a part of Bosnia and Herzegovina in the 1992-95 war by pitting Orthodox Serbs against Muslim Bosniaks and Catholic Croats.

The campaign included the relentless shelling and sniping of Sarajevo, attacks on other towns and - in what is usually described as the worst atrocity in Europe since the Holocaust - the 1995 genocide at Srebrenica, where forces under Karadzic's command executed around 8,000 Bosniak boys and men.

Last update: Fri, 22/07/2016 - 17:24

More from Balkan

Djukanovic won't continue as Montenegrin prime minister

Montenegro's longtime Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic will not continue as the government head despite just having...

International community says Bosnian Serb entity is glorifying war criminals

Representatives of the international community in Bosnia and Herzegovina on Tuesday condemned the glorification by...

Investigators question Serb entity referendum commission chair

The chairman of a commission which organised an unlawful referendum in the Bosnian Serb entity on September 25 was...

Bosnia and Iran to strengthen economic ties

Bosnia and Herzegovina will strengthen economic ties with Iran and measures will follow to change the current strict...

Serbia arrests people suspected of illegal activities against Montenegro

Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said on Monday evening that a few people had been arrested in Serbia in...