Ex-HVO soldier sentenced to 20 years for war crimes in Prozor Rama

The State Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina has sentenced former Croatian Defence Council (HVO) soldier Nikola Maric to 20 years in prison, pending appeal, for war crimes committed against Bosniaks in the southern municipality of Prozor Rama during the country's 1992-1995 war, the court said on Friday.

Maric was found guilty on all 25 counts of the indictment, including murder, maltreatment and persecution of Bosniak civilians between November 1992 and October 1993.

Reading the verdict, judge Mediha Pasic said that the accused had been involved in "widespread and systematic" attacks committed by the HVO and the Croatian Army. She said that Maric was found guilty of seven murders, the disappearance of six Bosniaks, whose bodies have not been found to date, maltreatment of several people, and unlawful arrests and expulsions.

Maric was remanded in custody and the time he has spent in custody, since 30 September 2013, will be credited towards his sentence.

Last update: Sat, 16/04/2016 - 10:49

More from Balkan

Serbia and Slovenia to hold joint govt meeting

A joint meeting of the governments of Serbia and Slovenia is scheduled for Monday in Belgrade, says a a press...

800 victims from Huda Jama mass grave to be reburied in Maribor

Remains of about 800 victims unearthed from the disused Slovenian mine of Huda Jama, one of the largest multiple...

Slovenia erecting panel fence along Croatia border

Slovenia started putting up a metal panel fence at its biggest border crossing with Croatia, Bregana-Obrezje, on...

Dodik to abandon EU path if Bosnian Serb entity sanctioned for referendum

The President of Bosnia and Herzegovina's Serb entity Republika Srpska, Milorad Dodik, on Friday threatened that the...

Serbia will not increase accommodation capacity for migrants

Serbia has been given additional funds by the European Union to manage the migrant crisis during the winter, but it...