Montenegro's role in 1991 shelling of Dubrovnik is a disgrace, says PM

What happened in Dubrovnik in 1991 is a disgrace for Montenegro and it must "never happen again because it wasn't in Montenegro's national interest," Prime Minister Milo Djukanovic said in parliament on Wednesday.

The majority of Montenegrin MPs agreed with him, although some blamed him because he was prime minister at that time too.

Opposition MPs from pro-Serb parties also blamed him for comparing "Dubrovnik in 1991 with the Battle of Mojkovac of 1916" at the main celebration of Montenegro's independence on May 21.

"After Mojkovac we lost the state and disappeared from the world's map, but after Dubrovnik we jeopardised some fundamental elements of Montenegrin society. We must learn the lesson and strictly follow Montenegro's national interests," Djukanovic said, adding that neither had been in Montenegro's interest.

Last update: Thu, 23/06/2016 - 15:03

More from Balkan

Slovenia erecting panel fence along Croatia border

Slovenia started putting up a metal panel fence at its biggest border crossing with Croatia, Bregana-Obrezje, on...

Dodik to abandon EU path if Bosnian Serb entity sanctioned for referendum

The President of Bosnia and Herzegovina's Serb entity Republika Srpska, Milorad Dodik, on Friday threatened that the...

Serbia will not increase accommodation capacity for migrants

Serbia has been given additional funds by the European Union to manage the migrant crisis during the winter, but it...

Athens clearing up centre after overnight anarchist riots

The centre of the Greek capital Athens was being cleared up Thursday after a night of rioting by anarchists that...

Macedonian elections set for December 11

Macedonia's parliament Tuesday set December 11 as the date for elections, local media reported.