Naser Oric goes on trial for war crimes in Srebrenica area

The Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Sarajevo on Tuesday commenced the trial of Naser Oric, the wartime commander of Srebrenica's defence forces charged with war crimes against Serb prisoners of war.

Together with Oric, also indicted in the case is Sabahudin Muhic, a former member of the Army of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The two are charged with the murder of Slobodan Ilic, Milutin Milosevic and Mitar Savic in the villages of Zalazje, Lolici and Kunjerac near Srebrenica in 1992. The three men were taken prisoner during an incursion of units under Oric's command into those villages.

The indictment charges Oric, who in 1992 was the commander of the Territorial Defence units in Srebrenica, with personally killing one of the three captives and aiding in the killing of the other two.

Oric and Muhic pleaded not guilty to all counts of the indictment that was confirmed in September 2015.

The prosecution said that it would call to the witness stand about 30 witnesses and the first would be questioned at a hearing scheduled for mid-February.

Oric had already been indicted by the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) for command responsibility for crimes against Serbs in the area of Srebrenica. He was acquitted of the charges in a trial that ended in 2008.

The trial that started today has attracted great media interest, as well as the interest of associations of Bosniaks and Serbs from Srebrenica.

Last update: Tue, 26/01/2016 - 12:37

More from Balkan

Athens clearing up centre after overnight anarchist riots

The centre of the Greek capital Athens was being cleared up Thursday after a night of rioting by anarchists that...

Macedonian elections set for December 11

Macedonia's parliament Tuesday set December 11 as the date for elections, local media reported.

Montenegrin opposition refuses to recognize election result

The Montenegrin opposition said Monday evening that it will not recognize the result of parliamentary elections...

Vucic awaiting official info on arrests in Montenegro

Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said in Belgrade on Monday he doubted that accusations of terrorism against...

Detention set for 14 Serbs over attempt to disrupt Montenegrin vote

Prosecutorial authorities in Montenegro on Monday reported that detention had been assigned to 14 out of 20 Serbian...