Deputy Infrastructure Minister Miro Skrgatic said in Cavtat on Monday there was no lack of construction projects and that Croatia had EUR 11 billion at its disposal from European Union funds until 2022, adding that the main problems in the sector remained lack of workers and administrative barriers.
Speaking on the fringes of a Croatian developers conference taking place in Cavtat today and tomorrow, Skrgatic said a third of the jobs in construction had been irretrievably lost since 2008 but that he nonetheless saw reasons for optimism.
He said the sector had come out of the crisis and that projects were many, notably the Peljesac bridge, roads and motorways. He said there was room to invest in airports and railways, with the possibility of drawing significant funds, notably for connecting the Rijeka seaport and the Hungarian border.
The problem lies in unprepared projects, so it is necessary to amend regulations, Skrgatic said, adding that legal amendments had been drawn up to facilitate drawing funds more quickly.
He said Croatia would have to increase import quotas for construction workers and change the education concept.
Responding to questions from the press, he said plans to build a motorway to Dubrovnik had not been scrapped but that the final route had not yet been defined.