The fourth register of people who went missing in Croatia during the 1991-95 Homeland War was presented in Zagreb on Friday, with Veterans Affairs Minister Predrag Matic saying the register contained the names of 1,591 people.
The register, released in May this year, is a result of cooperation between the Veterans Affairs Ministry's department for imprisoned and missing persons and the Croatian Red Cross, with verification and consent from the Serbian Red Cross and the Serbian Commission for Missing Persons and in consultation with the International Committee of the Red Cross.
Matic said that during his term in office no distinction was made in the search for persons gone missing in the war in 1991 and Serbs gone missing during the Croatian military and police operation "Storm" in 1995, underlining that the passage of time was the main obstacle to finding any real leads to find the missing.
Matic said that all information on missing persons was checked and that the whereabouts of around 400 missing persons had been established during his term in office. He noted that cooperation with the Serbian side was improving and that this trend was expected to continue.
Numerous political and public figures attended the presentation of the register including officials of the Croatian and Serbian Red Cross organisations as well as many families of the missing.
Monday, January 25, 2016 - 13:41