European court dismisses case against UN peacekeepers at Srebrenica

A case claiming three UN peacekeepers were criminally responsible in the 1995 massacre at Srebrenica was dismissed by the European Court of Human Rights on Thursday.

The court said that the actions of the peacekeepers from the Netherlands had been sufficiently investigated by authorities, and added that it was "impossible to conclude that the investigations had been ineffective or inadequate."

The case was brought by four relatives of massacre victims.

They alleged that the peacekeepers had played a role in their relatives' deaths by ordering them out of the UN compound at Dutchbat near Srebrenica when the area had been overrun by Bosnian Serbs.

Specifically, they said that one man, an electrician for the compound, had been mistakenly ordered to leave although he was included on the evacuation list. Another man stayed with his son, who was not permitted to leave.

All three were killed during the massacre committed by the Bosnian Serb army and Serbian paramilitaries that left between 7,000 and 8,000 Bosniak men dead.

The court backed rulings handed down by the public prosecutor and the Arnhem-Leeuwarden court of appeal, saying that the peacekeepers had no direct hand in the killing and were "unaware of the extent of theimminent massacre."

The massacre has been the subject of multiple legal proceedings, including at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague.

In depth coverage

Bosnian Serb leader appeals 40-year sentence for Srebrenica genocide 

Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic on Friday appealed his 40-year prison sentence after being found guilty of genocide by a UN international criminal court in The Hague.

Read more
Last update: Fri, 22/07/2016 - 17:24

Remains of 127 Srebrenica genocide victims buried

The remains of 127 Bosniak men and boys killed in by the Bosnian Serb army and police in Srebrenica in July 1995 and identified over the past year were buried at the local memorial complex.

Read more
Last update: Mon, 11/07/2016 - 16:36

Dutch veterans sue state over deployment in genocide town Srebrenica

Former UN soldiers are suing the Netherlands for damages related to their deployment more than 20 years ago at the town of Srebrenica, where thousands of boys and men were executed in the Bosnian War.

Read more
Last update: Thu, 30/06/2016 - 15:13
Last update: Thu, 22/09/2016 - 12:46

More from Europe

Germany, US, others offer to bolster NATO presence around Black Sea

Six NATO countries, including the United States and Germany, offered Wednesday to help bolster the alliance's...

Second earthquake in central Italy has 5.9 magnitude

A second earthquake in central Italy, which struck about two hours after a first major seismic event, is of 5.9...

Belgium closes in on CETA deal as Thursday summit hangs in balance

Belgian regional governments were closing in on a compromise late Wednesday that would allow the country to approve...

Putin: Ukraine cutting power off in Crimea was "serious crime"

Ukraine's shut-off of electricity and drinking water to Crimea following Russia's annexation of the peninsula was "...

Russia drops request for navy to use Spanish port under NATO pressure

Russia has withdrawn its request for warships to use the Spanish port of Ceuta on the Mediterranean Sea, the Russian...