First passenger flight since attacks takes off from Brussels airport

A passenger flight headed to Faro, Portugal, took off from Brussels Airport on Sunday, the first passenger flight to depart from the airport after suicide bombings killed more than 30 people there and at a Brussels metro station last month.

According to the airport's website, flights to Turin and Athens were also due to take off on Sunday, with a longer list of departing flights scheduled for Monday.

Passengers arriving at Brussels Airport on Sunday faced security checks at the building's entrance, Belgian broadcaster RTBF reported.

Passenger air traffic has been at a standstill at the airport since March 22, when two men blew themselves up in the facility's departure hall and a third man set off an explosion at the Maelbeek metro station near the European Union headquarters in Brussels.

The airport's reopening followed Saturday night riots in the Brussels district of Molenbeek, home to the organizers of the attacks in the Belgian capital and in Paris in November, Belgian media reported.

Last update: Sun, 03/04/2016 - 14:22

More from Europe

Report: Survivors tell Italian police 51 migrants missing at sea

Fifty-one migrants are missing in the Mediterranean Sea, people who were travelling with them told Italian police...

Belgium breaks impasse over EU-Canada trade deal

Belgium resolved its internal deadlock Thursday over a landmark trade deal between the European Union and Canada,...

Nissan says it will build new models in Britain despite Brexit

The next Qashqai and X-Trail sport utility vehicle (SUV) models will be built in Britain, Japan's Nissan Motor...

Germany charges Syrian teen over attack research for Islamic State

A 19-year-old Syrian national has been charged in Germany, accused of having researched terrorist attack targets in...

Yezidi survivors of sexual slavery win top EU rights prize

Nadia Murad and Lamiya Aji Bashar, who survived sexual enslavement by Islamic State, have been awarded the European...