Five Paris schools given all-clear after bomb threat evacuation

Five Parisian schools that were evacuated Tuesday after receiving bomb threats were declared safe by police, the city's school authority said. However, one school was still being searched.

The Academie de Paris said in a statement that the students were safe and the schools had followed their emergency security plans. It added that classes had resumed in at least two of the schools.

Students in the six schools had been evacuated mid-morning while police bomb squads searched the premises. Local newspaper Le Parisien had reported that students waited in courtyards and on the streets.

Paris has been under high alert due to a series of terrorist attacks that began in January 2015. France has been in a state of emergency since the latest attacks in November.

Last update: Tue, 26/01/2016 - 16:31

More from Europe

Win expected for conservative opposition in Lithuania election

Lithuania went to the polls on Sunday in the second round of a parliamentary election expected to punish Prime...

Spanish Socialists resolve crisis as minority government looms

Spain is set to have its first fully functional government in 10 months after the centre-left Socialist Party (PSOE...

Stand-off with man in London flat hoarding "combustibles" ends safely

A three-day stand-off between British armed police and a man feared to be in possession of "combustible material" in...

German foreign minister says EU break-up is a real threat

The break-up of the European Union is a real possibility, warns German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier in...

Report: Three dead amid two gas blasts in Russia

A pair of gas explosions striking homes claimed at least three lives Sunday and left at least 20 wounded, according...