German broadcaster sues Turkey over confiscation of interview

German broadcaster Deutsche Welle (DW) said Monday it is suing the Turkish government for the release of an interview it conducted with one of its ministers that was seized earlier this month.

Turkish Youth and Sports Minister Akif Cagatay Kilic spoke to DW's Conflict Zone show in early September about the coup attempt in July as well as questions about media freedom and women's rights in Turkey.

According to the broadcaster, its crew was told after the interview had been concluded that the material could not be broadcast. All recordings were then confiscated by ministry personnel.

DW said Monday that two deadlines for the release of the video material had passed, and that it had now filed a lawsuit with a civil court in Ankara, the Turkish capital.

"This ... has nothing to do with the rule of law or democracy," said DW's chief executive Peter Limbourg. "We demand from the Turkish side the immediate release of our video material."

Last update: Mon, 26/09/2016 - 13:37

More from Europe

EU summit fails to break Belgian impasse over Canada trade deal

EU leaders ended two days of talks Friday with a failure to break a regional blockade to a landmark deal the bloc is...

Germany's economy "has many problems," Italian premier Renzi says

Germany has "many" economic problems, including a large trade surplus which violates European Union rules, the...

Tusk: EU leaders agree on need for better tools against cheap imports

EU leaders have made progress on ramping up the bloc's protection against unfairly cheap imports, European Council...

Catalonia to uphold bullfighting ban despite veto by top court

The Spanish region of Catalonia wants to uphold its ban on bullfighting despite the ban being overturned by the...

At least one killed, six injured in Germany after train, truck crash

At least one person has died and six people have been injured following the collision of a train and a truck in...