ICTY: Seselj verdict to be announced on March 31

The Hague-based International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) announced on Wednesday that its verdict in the trial of Vojislav Seselj would be handed down March 31, at 1000 CET, even if the defendant is not present in court, inviting Seselj to inform the UN court in writing by March 22 whether he wishes to follow the sentencing hearing from Belgrade, via videolink.

Explaining the decision, the ICTY said that the verdict will be announced despite the absence of the accused, not because his presence is not required, but because he refuses to attend and because Serbian authorities are not applying adequate means to ensure his attendance at the sentencing hearing.

Seselj, who heads the Serb Radical Party (SRS), is accused of committing war crimes from 1991 to 1993. He was granted provisional release for health reasons on November 6, 2014, after spending more than 11 years in the ICTY detention unit.

Reacting to the announcement from The Hague, Seselj said he expected the tribunal to issue the decision in the Serbian language and that he would not comment on it until he receives the decision in writing and in Serbian.

Last update: Wed, 16/03/2016 - 18:47


ICTY to deliver Seselj ruling on March 31


Saturday, February 13, 2016 - 09:13

More from Europe

Germany, US, others offer to bolster NATO presence around Black Sea

Six NATO countries, including the United States and Germany, offered Wednesday to help bolster the alliance's...

Three earthquakes in Italy cause "apocalyptic" damage, but no victims

Three major earthquakes Wednesday struck a region in central Italy that had already been hit by a deadly seismic...

Belgium closes in on CETA deal as Thursday summit hangs in balance

Belgian regional governments were closing in on a compromise late Wednesday that would allow the country to approve...

Putin: Ukraine cutting power off in Crimea was "serious crime"

Ukraine's shut-off of electricity and drinking water to Crimea following Russia's annexation of the peninsula was "...

Russia drops request for navy to use Spanish port under NATO pressure

Russia has withdrawn its request for warships to use the Spanish port of Ceuta on the Mediterranean Sea, the Russian...