Italy pulls 217 bodies from recovered wreck of migrant boat

Some 217 bodies have been taken from the wreck of a migrant boat that was recovered from the bottom of the Mediterranean 10 days ago, the Italian Navy said Thursday.

The accident of April 18, 2015 was at the time considered the worst in recent Mediterranean history. It was survived by only 28 people, who told authorities that at least another 700 were dead or missing.

The navy, or Marina Militare, said a 150-strong team was working around the clock on the wreck, which has been towed to the Sicilian NATO naval base of Melilli.

It said that forensic work had been carried out on 52 victims, and that efforts to find and identify more bodies from the wreck were still ongoing.

Last week, Navy Rear Admiral Pietro Covino said the navy expected to find 250-300 corpses.

Survivors told authorities last year that at least 700 other migrants were missing, but since then, only 169 bodies have been found, excluding those extracted from the ship's ruins.

Last update: Thu, 07/07/2016 - 13:37

More from Europe

Poll: 'no' vote at 54 per cent in Italian constitutional referendum

Support for a 'no' vote on Italy's upcoming constitutional referendum has taken a 54-46 per cent lead, according to...

German minister hopeful shunned after "liking" right-wing party

A German prosecutor tapped for a cabinet position in an east German state is out of the running after "liking" the...

EU parliament chief raises hopes of salvaging Canada trade deal

An embattled trade EU-Canada trade deal should be signed as planned next week, European Parliament President Martin...

Police suspect tear gas in London City airport "chemical incident"

Police said they suspected CS gas could have caused a "chemical incident" that led to a three-hour evacuation of ...

EU summit fails to break Belgian impasse over Canada trade deal

EU leaders ended two days of talks Friday with a failure to break a regional blockade to a landmark deal the bloc is...