Key ally rejects Merkel's "We can do it" promise on refugees

A key ally on Saturday took a swipe at German Chancellor Angela Merkel's "We can do it" promise, a slogan she has regularly used over the last year to rally Germans around efforts to manage the country's refugee crisis.

Merkel had repeated the motivational slogan - first coined in August, at the height of the crisis as thousands of refugees were making their way to Germany every day - during her annual summer press conference on Thursday.

But it is growing clearer that not all of Germany agrees with her.

"With all the will in the world, I can't use this sentence. The problem is too big for that," Bavarian Premier Horst Seehofer said after a retreat of the Bavarian cabinet on the shores of the southern Tegernsee lake.

There was still a lot of work to do on managing the country's refugee crisis, Seehofer added.

In light of the information he held due to his office, Germany had to get "a huge deal better" at handling current issues.

Seehofer, who is one of the fiercest internal critics of Merkel's asylum policy, said he did not want to argue. "But I don't want to tell the public any untruths either."

Nonetheless, Seehofer, who heads the Bavarian sister party of Merkel's Christian Democrats' (CDU), said the two parties were "doing well" overall.

His criticism of Merkel comes as a poll revealed Saturday that only 8 per cent of Germans still believe in Merkel's "We can do it" promise.

Pollster YouGov surveyed 1,017 Germans between Tuesday and Friday, posing the question: "How do you feel about Merkel's statement 'We can do it,' repeated several times in relation to the high number of refugees in Germany and the country's ability to accept them and look after them?"

Some 48 per cent of respondents said they did "not agree at all" with the statement. A further 18 per cent said they "slightly disagree," putting the total percentage of people disagreeing with Merkel at 66 per cent.

Eighteen per cent said they "slightly agree," putting the total percentage of people backing Merkel's view at only 26 per cent.

That means the numbers of those who agree with Merkel's optimism on the refugee crisis are at their lowest point since she coined the phrase in August 15, 2015.

However, there was only point - between September 1 and 4 - when agreement levels were significantly higher. Back then, 43 per cent of Germans agreed with her, while 51 per cent disagreed.

Last update: Sat, 30/07/2016 - 21:30

More from Europe

British police give all clear after "non-viable" device found

Counter-terrorism police in south-western England gave the all-clear Saturday after cordoning off a property for...

Poll: 'no' vote at 54 per cent in Italian constitutional referendum

Support for a 'no' vote on Italy's upcoming constitutional referendum has taken a 54-46 per cent lead, according to...

German minister hopeful shunned after "liking" right-wing party

A German prosecutor tapped for a cabinet position in an east German state is out of the running after "liking" the...

EU parliament chief raises hopes of salvaging Canada trade deal

An embattled trade EU-Canada trade deal should be signed as planned next week, European Parliament President Martin...

Police suspect tear gas in London City airport "chemical incident"

Police said they suspected CS gas could have caused a "chemical incident" that led to a three-hour evacuation of ...