Munich shooter's father: "We're receiving death threats"

The parents of the Munich teen who shot dead nine people at a McDonald's restaurant and a nearby shopping centre before turning the gun on himself, have been receiving death threats, his father said in an interview with German Sunday paper Bild am Sonntag.

"We are receiving death threats. My wife has been crying for a week. Our life in Munich is finished," said Masoud Sonboly.

The father reproached himself for not knowing what was going on with his 18-year-old son Ali, who went on a shooting spree on July 22.

"I did not know about the gun," the taxi driver told the paper.

He also did not know that his son had been collecting information on Norwegian far-right terrorist Anders Behring Breivik, who is serving a 21-year jail term for his rampage five years ago, which left 77 dead.

However, Sonboly said he was aware that his son had been bullied at school four years ago. "I removed Ali from the school and talked to his teacher," he said, adding that he also reported several of the bullies to the police. But nothing had come of the inquiries.

"I want to know all of it. I also want to know what medication my son was on," he said. Doctors had found traces of antidepressants in Ali's blood at the postmortem.

According to Sonboly, his son had become very withdrawn and spent a lot of time in his room playing violent computer games.

The family eventually moved to Maxvorstadt, a wealthy district of Munich.

Their son became obsessed with the idea that he shared his birthday with former German Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler, and the Iranian-German teen also wanted a German first name, calling himself David.

According to the paper, the teenager saw himself as an Aryan to distinguish himself from the Turks and Albanians living in his neighbourhood. Most of his victims had been teenagers with a non-German heritage.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel and President Joachim Gauck were due to attend a memorial service in Munich for the nine shooting victims later in the day.

Last update: Sun, 31/07/2016 - 14:42

More from Europe

Bulldozers converge on charred remains of Calais migrant camp

Smoke rose over the remains of the charred migrant camp near the northern port city of Calais on Thursday, as most...

Putin: "stupid" to think Russia is preparing attack on NATO state

Russia is not preparing to attack a NATO member state, as that is "just unthinkable, stupid and unrealistic,"...

Germany denies custody to refugee who put his baby up for sale online

A man who offered his 40-day-old baby girl for sale on the internet has been denied custody of his daughter and will...

Italy seizes 77 million euros of cocaine from ship coming from Brazil

Some 385 kilogrammes of "very pure" cocaine, with a market value of 77 million euros (85 million dollars), were...

Report: Survivors tell Italian police 51 migrants missing at sea

Fifty-one migrants are missing in the Mediterranean Sea, people who were travelling with them told Italian police...