Report: Paris suspect arrested, likely to be fugitive Brussels bomber

A suspect who had been sought by police for months in connection with the November terrorist attacks in Paris has been arrested and "more than likely" is the bomber who fled a later attack on the Brussels airport, Belgian media reported Friday.

Mohamed Abrini had been the subject of an international arrest warrant since November, after police found video footage of him driving a Renault Clio car that was later used in the Paris attacks.

Surveillance cameras had recorded him together with Paris attack suspect Salah Abdeslam at a gas station in northern France two days before the attacks in the French capital, which left 130 dead.

Investigators so far had not publicly made a link between Abrini and the Brussels attacks, which left 32 people dead at the Belgian capital's airport and Maelbeek underground station.

Three suicide bombers also died in the March 22 attacks, while a fourth suspect fled after leaving an explosive device at the airport.

The fugitive came to be known as "the man with the hat," based on video surveillance images of him. Belgian prosecutors asked for the public's help on Thursday in gathering more evidence about the man. They gave no indication of knowing his identity at the time.

The Belgian broadcasters VRT and RTBF both said on Friday that Abrini's DNA had been found in the apartment which the airport attackers had set off from, adding that he "more than likely" was the man with the hat.

They did not immediately offer more details on his reported arrest.

Belgian federal prosecutors confirmed in a statement that "several arrests" had been made in connection with the Brussels attacks, but did not immediately give any more details.

VRT and RTBF reported that a second man arrested on Friday is believed to have had contact with the suicide bomber who targeted the Maelbeek station. RTBF quoted unnamed sources as saying that he had also purchased luggage used during the Brussels attacks.

Friday's arrests took place in the Brussels neighbourhood of Anderlecht, VRT said.

Police had described Abrini, a 31-year-old Belgian national, as "dangerous and probably armed." His brother died in Syria after joining the Islamic State extremist group, the Belga news agency reported.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Paris and Brussels attacks.

Last update: Fri, 08/04/2016 - 17:57

More from Europe

Report: Survivors tell Italian police 51 migrants missing at sea

Fifty-one migrants are missing in the Mediterranean Sea, people who were travelling with them told Italian police...

Belgium breaks impasse over EU-Canada trade deal

Belgium resolved its internal deadlock Thursday over a landmark trade deal between the European Union and Canada,...

Nissan says it will build new models in Britain despite Brexit

The next Qashqai and X-Trail sport utility vehicle (SUV) models will be built in Britain, Japan's Nissan Motor...

Germany charges Syrian teen over attack research for Islamic State

A 19-year-old Syrian national has been charged in Germany, accused of having researched terrorist attack targets in...

Yezidi survivors of sexual slavery win top EU rights prize

Nadia Murad and Lamiya Aji Bashar, who survived sexual enslavement by Islamic State, have been awarded the European...