The Saudi government has offered its support for the investigations into two terrorist attacks in Germany last month, according to a Spiegel magazine report Saturday, citing a senior government official in Riyadh.
The evidence suggests that prior to the attacks the perpetrators held online conversations with Islamic State supporters believed to be in Saudi Arabia, the report said.
German investigators are still trying to determine the level of involvement by the terrorist group, which claimed responsibility for both incidents.
On July 18, a 17-year-old wielding an axe and a knife attacked and severely wounded passengers on a train in Wuerzburg.
Spiegel reported that investigators discovered that he had chatted with an Islamic State backer, who suggested that the teen ram a car into a crowd. But that idea was dismissed because he did not have a driver's license.
In his last chat with the Islamic State supporter, he wrote: "See you in paradise."
A week after the train attack, a 27-year-old asylum seeker from Syria killed himself and injured 12 others in a bombing outside a music festival in Ansbach. He had also held chats with a person who clearly encouraged him to commit violent acts, Spiegel said.
Spiegel noted that investigators had yet to determine whether the attackers had communicated with senior members of the Islamic State, low-level soldiers or merely sympathizers of the extremist group.