Samsung's Note 7 phones go back on sale after recall

Samsung's flagship Galaxy Note 7 smartphones went back on sale in South Korea on Saturday, almost a month after the electronics giant was forced to undertake a worldwide recall of the devices due to the risk of them catching fire.

The new phones have been fitted with new batteries, a spokesman said. They will go on sale again in Europe on October 28.

Samsung launched the recall early last month after admitting that the so-called phablet, which was originally launched on August 19 and sold in several countries, could burst into flames while charging.

Several airlines also banned passengers from bringing them on board.

The company said 2.5 million phones were affected and offered all customers replacements, including 1.4 million customers in South Korea and the United States alone.

US consumer authorities said they had received 92 reports of the phones overheating or even catching fire.

Last update: Sat, 01/10/2016 - 10:21

More from Science & Tech

Hundreds of South Koreans sue Samsung over Galaxy Note7: report

Hundreds of South Korean Galaxy Note7 owners filed a joint lawsuit Monday against Samsung seeking compensation after...

Swedish court grounds camera-equipped drones

A Swedish court ruling stating that drones equipped with cameras should fall under legislation regulating...

Lander crash has not endangered Mars mission, Russian experts say

The Russian-European ExoMars space mission remains on track despite the Mars lander Schiaparelli's crash on...

Mars lander may have "exploded on impact," European Space Agency says

The European Space Agency's Schiaparelli Mars lander may have "exploded on impact" after a failed descent to the...

Mars orbiter a success, but fate of lander uncertain after touchdown

The orbiter in a joint European and Russian mission to Mars has been a complete success, but it is not known if the...