A police probe has been launched into match-fixing claims around last week's European Under-21 championship qualifier between Malta and Montenegro, the Malta Football Association said on Monday.
In a statement, the Malta FA said it was informed that an investigation was underway and it was working closely with the authorities. No further details were made available.
The Times of Malta reported a number of Malta players were summoned for questioning at the police headquarters on Sunday.
Malta FA general secretary Bjorn Vassallo said the association was waiting for the report on the betting patterns related to last Wednesday’s qualifier which visiting Montenegro won 1-0.
Illegal betting is said to be rife in Montenegro and the qualifier was regarded as a high-risk match as far as betting is concerned.
Malta faces the Czech Republic in a qualifier on Tuesday.