Paralympics long jump champion Markus Rehm will join a working group organized by ruling athletics body IAAF to examine whether athletes using prosthetics can compete at able-bodied championships, the IAAF said Friday.
Rehm met with IAAF General Secretary Jean Gracia, who will chair the working group, according to a statement from IAAF. The working group will next meet after the Rio de Janeiro Paralympics in September, with Rehm part of it.
"As a member of the working group, Rehm and the IAAF will work together on a rule change proposal to allow athletes using prostheses to compete in a future IAAF World Championships, the aim being London in 2017," the IAAF said in a statement.
The IAAF also said Rehm will not seek entry to the Rio Olympics in August.
The news came after a study published on May 30 was inconclusive on whether the prosthetic Rehm uses on his amputated lower right leg gives him an advantage over able-bodied athletes.
Rehm won the German long jump title in 2014 but was barred from competing at the European championships the same year. He wants to compete at able-bodied events just as South African double amputee runner Oscar Pistorius, who was at the 2011 worlds and 2012 Olympics.
Rehm, who had earlier accused the IAAF of not seeking a dialogue, called the visit "building bridges, don't break them down" in a statement on his Facebook account. He said he hopes for "an honest and respectful cooperation" in the working group.
"The little time and some political issues are the reason why a start at the Olympics is unfortunately not possible this year ... but we achieved another important step. We agreed to cooperate from now on and aiming to compete at the World Championships in London 2017!" he said.