3 dead in Mexico oil refinery explosion

Three people were killed and 136 were injured Wednesday in an explosion at an oil facility in the south-east Mexican state of Veracruz, the state-owned oil company PEMEX said.

Eighty-eight of the injured were still being treated in hospital and 13 of them were in serious condition, said Alberto Silva Ramos, the spokesman for the state of Veracruz.

The cause of the explosion was not immediately known.

The Pajaritos facility and surrounding area in the city of Coatzacoalcos were evacuated while emergency workers battled a fire. PEMEX said Wednesday evening that the blaze was under control but warned local residents to stay away from the facility.

Pictures broadcast earlier on Mexican television showed a dense black cloud of smoke rising over the facility, which produced vinyl chloride, a main ingredient of plastic pipes. PEMEX said the cloud had since dissipated and with it its hazardous potential, but did not provide further details about the explosion.

Veracruz authorities held an emergency meeting Wednesday evening, and Veracruz governor Javier Duarte and PEMEX chief executive Jose Antonio Gonzalez were en route to the scene. Schools will remain closed Thursday because of the incident.

Last update: Thu, 21/04/2016 - 10:53


More from World

Russia loses re-election bid for UN Human Rights Council

Russia failed to gather enough votes at the UN General Assembly on Friday to be elected to serve a further three-...

FBI investigating additional Clinton emails

The FBI says it is reviewing new emails that could be relevant to its investigation into Democratic presidential...

Putin says no to Russian military request to resume Aleppo airstrikes

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday turned down a request by the military to resume airstrikes on the Syrian...

Erdogan: Turkey is an inspiration for the world

Turkey serves as an inspiration for the world, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan proclaimed on the country's Republic...

Houthi leader: Rebels did not launch missile targeting Mecca

A Houthi leader on Friday denied Saudi allegations that Shiite Houthi rebels launched a ballistic missile from a...