47 killed in clashes between Islamic State and Afghan security forces

At least 47 people, including eight civilians, were killed in clashes between Islamic State's Afghan-Pakistan wing and security forces in Afghanistan's eastern province of Nangarhar, officials said Saturday. 

"Four children and three women were among the dead," said a statement from the Nangarhar governor's office.

Two Afghan security force personnel were also killed in the fighting on Friday. 

Eastern Afghanistan has been identified as a hotspot for Islamic State activity, according to NATO, and US forces have been concentrating more drone strikes in the eastern region since the middle of last year.

Seven civilians, three security personnel, and 32 Islamic State fighters were wounded in the clashes. 

Some 30 civilians, including women and children, were kidnapped by Islamic State militants after the fighting. An unknown number were later freed by Afghan forces. 

"There is no fighting in the area at the moment," said the statement from the governor's office, adding that security forces were conducting air and ground operations in the area.

Last update: Sat, 25/06/2016 - 18:10

More from World

Trade deal "mistakes" and women "liars" targeted in Trump speech

Republican Donald Trump laid out far-reaching plans for the start of his presidency if he wins November elections,...

Iraqi premier rules out Turkish Mosul role despite US support

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Saturday insisted that only Iraqi forces would take part in the campaign to...

Record 300 tons of cocaine seized this year in Colombia

Colombian anti-drug squads have this year seized a record haul of around 300 tons of cocaine.

Key Egyptian army officer shot dead in Cairo

A senior Egyptian army officer was killed in Cairo on Saturday, state television reported.

Key rebel official reported killed as Yemen truce nears end

A senior official in Yemen’s rebel Houthi movement has been killed, Saudi-owned television station Al Arabiya...