The Turkish consulate in the Iraqi city of Mosul has been destroyed in airstrikes carried out by the US-led alliance against the Islamic State terrorist militia, Ankara said on Monday.
Turkey's Foreign Ministry said the government had been included in the planning of the strikes and agreed for the operation to go ahead.
Fighter jets targeted the building in the northern Iraqi city - a stronghold of Islamic State militants - in the early hours of Monday. It was initially unclear which countries had been involved in the military operation, according to a ministry statement.
Islamic State militants occupied the consulate when they overran Mosul and much of northern Iraq in June 2014. At that time, they captured 46 Turkish members of staff and three Iraqis. The hostages were released in September 2015.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan credited their release to diplomatic negotiations carried out by his government. The details of the negotiations are not known.
Tuesday, October 18, 2016 - 09:25
Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 19:11
Monday, October 24, 2016 - 10:26