Al Jazeera crew, abducted in Yemen, released

Qatari broadcaster Al Jazeera said Thursday that its crew, abducted 10 days earlier in war-ravaged Yemen, has been released.

Al Jazeera said that its correspondent Hamdi al-Bukari, cameraman Abdel-Aziz Sabri and driver Muneer al-Sabai were released in the central city of Taiz.

They were kidnapped by unknown gunmen on January 18.

It was not clear who seized the crew or how they were freed.

However, Al Jazeera quoted pro-government forces in Yemen as accusing Houthi rebels there of seizing the trio.

Taiz, Yemen's third-biggest city, has in recent months been at the centre of fighting between Iran-allied Houthis and forces loyal to internationally recognized President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi.

Saudi Arabia and fellow Sunni partners have carried out an air campaign in Yemen against the mostly Shiite rebels since March. Qatar has backed the military intervention.

Last update: Thu, 28/01/2016 - 13:16


Report: Yemen rebels detain activists and journalist


Saturday, January 30, 2016 - 15:57

More from World

Dozens of Iraqi civilians found dead outside of Mosul, the UN says

The bullet-ridden bodies of dozens of civilians have reportedly been found near Mosul by Iraqi security services,...

Turkey now top 10 destination for German arms amid refugee crisis

Turkey has jumped into the top 10 in the rankings of destinations for German arms exports as Ankara responds to...

Ground operation possible in Iraq, Turkish foreign minister says

Turkey would consider sending ground troops into Iraq, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said.

Philippine leader resumes rebuke of US after arrival in Japan

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte slammed the United States soon after arriving in Japan Tuesday evening, calling...

Vatican: Cremating the dead is OK, but scattering of ashes is not

Catholics must not scatter the ashes of the dead or keep them at home, the Vatican reiterated in guidelines Tuesday...