Bomb left by attackers kills officer at Indian air force base

A bomb planted by gunmen during an attack on an Indian air force base exploded Sunday killing an officer and taking the death toll in the incident to 10, defence sources said.

Four gunmen who attacked the air base in Pathankot near India’s border with Pakistan early Saturday were killed during the shootout, along with two security personnel.

Three other guards succumbed to injuries overnight. Nine injured security personnel were still being treated in hospital.

The bomb exploded Sunday when army team was carrying out search operations to find any militants who may still be hiding in the area.

The bodies of the four attackers had been recovered, but there could have been more who escaped during the shootout, NDTV reported citing intelligence sources.

Assault rifles, mortars, grenade launchers and Global Positioning System devices were recovered at the scene.

The government said it had intelligence reports that terrorists would try to infiltrate military installations in Pathankot area, and the base was prepared to respond.

The gunmen were detected as soon as they entered and contained in a limited area, away from the technical zone where high-value aircraft are parked, the Defence Ministry said.

Last update: Sun, 03/01/2016 - 10:11

More from World

US abstains for first time from UN vote condemning Cuban embargo

The United States abstained for the first time in 24 years from a vote in the UN General Assembly urging an end to...

Venezuelans demand end to "dictatorship" as tensions surge

Venezuela's political crisis escalated Wednesday as the opposition announced a general strike and threatened to...

Monitor: Death toll rises to 35 in bombing of Syrian rebel village

The death toll from Wednesday's airstrikes near a school complex in a rebel-held village in north-western Syria has...

US pushing for TTIP deal ahead of Obama's Germany trip

The United States said Wednesday it is continuing to push forward with a US-European trade agreement with the "...

2016 deadliest year for migrants in Mediterranean, UN agency says

This year has been the deadliest ever for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe, with at least 3,800...