The civilian death toll in the attack on the American University of Afghanistan in Kabul has risen from 13 to 16, public health officials said Friday.
Health ministry spokesman Wahidullah Majrooh said eight students, two professors, three security forces member, two university guards and one person from the adjacent school for the blind were killed in the Kabul attack, which began Wednesday evening.
Previously, officials had spoken of seven students and professors among the dead. A new count revealed eight students and two professors killed, he said.
Additionally, the number of injured rose from 39 to 53, according to Majrooh.
On Wednesday evening, a suicide bomber detonated a car bomb in front of the university's gate. Two attackers armed with guns then stormed the campus, firing their weapons and throwing grenades into classrooms.
The stand-off with security forces took about ten hours, ending around 4 am local time when the two attackers were killed.
According to Kabul police, there were 700 people on the compound at the time of the attack. No group has yet claimed responsibility.
The university declared in a statement that it was dedicated to opening again.
“The University has already started the process to repair the damage caused by the attack and put new security in place so that the campus can reopen," the memo read.
The statement added that the university is also looking into alternative spaces in order to resume some classes.
Wednesday, August 24, 2016 - 17:14