Double attack kills 30 would-be Yemeni army recruits in Aden

At least 30 people, mostly would-be army recruits, were killed in a double attack in Yemen's temporary capital in the south of the country, hospital officials told dpa.

Two intense explosions rocked central Aden this morning.

One targeted the house of a senior military chief, killing a number of men seeking to enlist in the army who had gathered near the area, the sources said. The senior military officer escaped the attack unharmed.

The other attack targeted an army recruitment camp.

More than 20 people were injured in the two attacks.

The number of casualties is expected to rise due to the severity of the injuries, medical sources said.

The exact number of injuries and deaths in each assault was not immediately clear, neither was it obvious how the attacks were carried out.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the either of the attacks.

A similar attack occurred last week when a suicide bomber killed 27 would-be recruits among a crowd seeking to enlist in the Yemeni army in the south-eastern city of Mukalla. Islamic State claimed responsibility for that attack.

In recent months, Islamic State has taken credit for deadly attacks in war-wracked Yemen.

The extremist group has taken advantage of the civil war in Yemen between mainly Shiite Houthi rebels and pro-Hadi forces to make advances.

Yemen is also home to al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), seen as one of the terrorist network's most active branches in the world.

AQAP has expanded its long-standing presence in the impoverished country during the civil war, joining local forces in the fight against the Houthis while also seizing control of territory behind their lines. Yemen's conflict has intensified since March 2015 when the rebels advanced on Aden, prompting Saudi Arabia and fellow Sunni allies to start an air campaign in Yemen against the group. Saudi Arabia fears that the rebels will give its regional rival, Shiite Iran, a strategic foothold on the Arabian peninsula.

Last update: Mon, 23/05/2016 - 11:24

More from World

Turkish army claims to have "neutralized 105 terrorists" in a week

The Turkish military says it has "neutralized 105 terrorists" in the south-east of the country in a six-day period,...

First case of Zika virus discovered in Myanmar

Authorities confirmed the first case of the mosquito-borne Zika virus in Myanmar, according to a statement from the...

Historic deal reached on the world's largest marine protected area

Twenty-four countries and the European Union have reached a historic deal to designate 1.55 million square...

Venezuela's Maduro threatens businesses with seizure over strike

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro threatened businesses considering joining a planned national strike Friday,...

Official: 772 militants killed since launch of Mosul offensive

Iraqi joint forces have killed 772 Islamic State militants since the launch of the offensive this month to dislodge...