Egypt acquits 22 who protested Red Sea islands' handover to Saudis

A Cairo court on Wednesday acquitted 22 people accused of illegally protesting Egypt's plan to hand two strategic Red Sea islands over to Saudi Arabia.

The verdict came one day after an administrative court declared the Egyptian-Saudi deal "null and void," dealing a major blow to President Abdel-Fattah al-Sissi on one of the most controversial issues he's faced since taking office.

The 22 defendants had been arrested on April 15 during mass protests against the handover of the islands of Tiran and Sanafir, which had been quietly announced during a visit to Cairo by Saudi King Salman earlier that month.

The protests were among the largest non-Islamist demonstrations against al-Sissi's administration in two years, defying a 2013 law that effectively bans protests.

The court noted that holding protests does not violate the constitution, an argument repeatedly invoked by opponents of the protest law.

It also found that the defendants had been arbitrarily arrested and did not riot. The verdict can be appealed by prosecutors.

The ruling comes after some 98 alleged protesters in two related cases saw their sentences voided or reduced to fines in appeal judgements in recent weeks.

The administrative court ruling voiding the handover deal would also help defendants in other cases, although it would not be binding on criminal courts, lawyer Khaled Ali, who took the case against the agreement, said on Wednesday.

Ali told a press conference that while he had brought atlases and historic government documents to court to argue his case that the islands were historically sovereign Egyptian territory, the government side had not presented any documents.

"What we want today is a transparent government. Maybe in the next round in court we’ll be able to make them produce documents," Ali said.

The government has lodged an appeal which is expected to be heard by the Supreme Administrative Court.

Opposition activists have accused the government of "selling" Egyptian territory in return for billions of dollars of aid and financing provided by Saudi Arabia since al-Sissi - then the army chief - ousted Islamist president Mohammed Morsi in 2013.

The government says that a joint commission of experts found that the two islands were historically Saudi territory. However, the administrative court accepted Ali's argument that his documentation proved Egypt had exerted sovereignty over them.

Last update: Wed, 22/06/2016 - 20:45

More from World

Bob Dylan website drops reference to Nobel Prize in Literature

US singer-songwriter Bob Dylan's official website has removed a reference to his Nobel Prize in Literature, news...

UN Rights Council members push for inquiry of Aleppo war crimes

Western and Arab countries on Friday pushed for an inquiry into war crimes committed against civilians in the Syrian...

Being in ICC prevents peacekeeping work, says departing South Africa

South Africa announced Friday that it will leave the International Criminal Court, saying its ICC membership...

Magnitude-6.6 quake hits western Japan, no tsunami warning issued

A 6.6-magnitude earthquake struck a large area of western Japan on Friday, the Meteorological Agency said, but there...

Seoul: Failed rocket test shows "limits" of North Korean technology

A failed rocket test carried out by North Korea on Thursday demonstrates the "limits" of the communist country's...