Indian consulate attacked in Afghanistan, two civilians killed

Gunmen attacked the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad Wednesday, leaving two civilians dead after a two-hour gunbattle, officials said.

All six attackers were killed by security forces, said Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, police spokesperson of Nangarhar province.

“Two of the six suicide attackers blew themselves up near the Indian consulate. The other four were killed by police."

The attack left 19 people wounded, he said.

“The Indian consulate workers were not harmed,” said General Nasim Sangi, a military commander in the province.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

This is the third significant suicide attack in Afghanistan in the past week. Two attacks on Saturday left at least 20 dead and 50 others wounded in capital Kabul and eastern Kunar province.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the Kabul suicide attack.

Last update: Wed, 02/03/2016 - 12:02

More from World

NATO fears Russian aircraft carrier could be deployed against Aleppo

NATO fears that a Russian aircraft carrier group headed for the eastern Mediterranean Sea could be used to "increase...

Trump vows to "totally accept" election result if he wins

Republican candidate Donald Trump said Thursday he would accept the results of the US presidential election if he...

Carter: North Korea would face US military might for nuclear attack

The US would respond with the "full spectrum of American military might" if North Korea were to undertake a nuclear...

Somalia releases Al Jazeera reporters arrested for "one-sided story"

Al Jazeera journalists arrested in Somalia on suspicion of researching for a "one-sided story" in support of radical...

Iraqi, Kurdish forces advance on Islamic State stronghold of Mosul

Iraqi and Kurdish forces on Thursday made territorial gains near Mosul as part of a major offensive aimed at...