Jihadist video threatens more attacks on Bangladesh

Bangladeshi police were Wednesday investigating an apparent jihadist video threatening more attacks in the South Asian nation.

The video shows three Bengali-speaking men and included praise for last week’s deadly attack on a restaurant in Dhaka’s diplomatic district.

“We have seen the footage and the experts are examining it,” police spokesman Masudur Rahman said.

The footage shows the young men speaking while standing by a busy road in what the US-based SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadist threats, said was al-Raqqa, Islamic State's de facto capital in Syria.

The first of the three men addressed the government of Bangladesh and its employees.

“How come you support a system like democracy, which goes against Islam? Don’t you know democracy is a system where laws are made by man despite Allah announcing that he holds the power of enacting every law,” said the man.

“[The attacks] you see in Bangladesh will be repeated, repeated and repeated until sharia law is established,” the man said.

Another man in the video praised the attack that suspected Islamists carried out last week on the Holey Artisan Bakery restaurant in Dhaka, which killed 20 civilians.

Nine of the victims were Italian, seven Japanese, one Indian, two Bangladeshi and one American. Two police were also killed.

Following reports on the new video, Inspector General of Police Shahidul Hoque warned social media users not to upload, share, like and post comment on any content supporting terrorist activities.

“Such actions are unlawful. We will take punitive measures if anyone found promoting militancy through social sites,” the police chief said.  

Meanwhile, a Dhaka court on Wednesday ordered police to submit an investigative report on the restaurant attack by August 24, a lawyer said.

Bangladeshi Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan on Tuesday said the families identified the bodies of five attackers, despite security officials earlier saying that six militants were killed during an operation led by army commandos.

Thirteen hostages were rescued during the operation Saturday morning.

Khan denied a claim by Islamic State that its militants carried out the attacks, saying all the attackers are home-grown.

Last update: Wed, 06/07/2016 - 15:58

More from World

Islamic State militants kill 33 civilians in western Afghanistan

Islamic State fighters killed at least 33 civilians in an apparent revenge attack in western Afghanistan, local...

Australian police fly to Vatican to interview senior cardinal

Australian police flew to the Vatican to interview a top cardinal over allegations of sexual assault that had been...

Gambia third Africa nation to withdraw from ICC

Gambia has become the third African nation to submit its withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC) to...

Human Rights Watch, UN condemn exile of Cambodian opposition leader

Human Rights Watch condemned the exile of Cambodian opposition leader Sam Rainsy on Wednesday, joining other rights...

Venezuelan parliament votes to try President Maduro

The Venezuelan parliament has voted to open a political trial against President Nicolas Maduro, following a special...