Jordan declared the north-eastern and northern borders closed military zones on Tuesday, hours after a suicide attack claimed the lives of six people, local al-Rai newspaper reported on its website, citing an official army source.
Jordanian Chief of Staff General Mashal Mohammed al-Zaben said that any movements of vehicles or individuals in the mentioned zones without prior coordination will be dealt with forcibly as enemy targets with no exception, the source added.
At least six people were killed and 14 others injured at 5:30 am (0230 GMT) Tuesday in an assault carried out by a suicide attacker driving a car rigged with explosives in north-eastern Jordan near the Syrian border, the Jordanian army said.
The army said the attack was launched from the Syrian refugee camp in nearby al-Ruqban, a city about 8 kilometres west of the meeting point of the Iraqi, Syrian and Jordanian borders.
The victims were mostly army personnel, according to an earlier army statement.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
"Jordan will strike with an iron fist whoever assaults or attempts to harm it or its borders," Jordanian King Abdullah II said during a visit to the general command of the armed forces after the attack.
On June 6, five people were killed when gunmen attacked a post of the intelligence services north of the capital Amman. That attack took place near a Palestinian refugee camp on the first day of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
Jordan is surrounded by neighbours in turmoil, including Iraq and Syria. The security forces have cracked down on Islamic State sympathizers since the group rose to prominence in 2014.
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 - 11:53