At least 12 dead in southern Afghanistan as battle rages on

At least 12 people including four attackers were killed Wednesday in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province, and gunfire continued to be exchanged between Afghan security forces and at least two other attackers, officials said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which started around 7 am (0230 GMT) in an area that includes the district governor’s office, the police station and other government buildings.

The area came under fire from three directions.

"Two locations have been cleared, while one location, where the attackers are resisting, is being cleared by the security forces," said Esmatullah Dawlatzai, zone police commander of Helmand. 

Helmand is one of Afghanistan's most volatile provinces. The Taliban has been fighting Afghan security forces in the northern areas for the past 10 months and have taken full control of Musa Qala and Nawzad districts and partial control of several other districts.

Last update: Wed, 09/03/2016 - 15:07

More from World

Syria accused of third chemical weapons attack

UN monitors have concluded that the Syrian regime used chlorine gas in a third chemical weapons attack last year,...

Yemen ceasefire expires as UN envoy pleads for extension

A three-day long truce in the Yemeni conflict expired at 11:59 pm local time (2059) GMT Saturday, despite a plea...

Venezuelan fighter intercepts Colombian passenger flight

A Colombian passenger plane was intercepted and escorted from Venezuelan airspace by a Venezuelan fighter plane, the...

AT&T agrees to buy Time Warner, reports say

Telecommunications giant AT&T has agreed to buy media conglomerate Time Warner in a deal worth 80 billion...

Aleppo ceasefire ends without promised evacuations

No civilians were evacuated during the Russian-announced truce in Aleppo, a Red Cross official in the city said...