MSF: 77 attacks on clinics since Kunduz hospital strike one year ago

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said Sunday there had been 77 attacks on medical facilities it supports in Syria and Yemen over last year.

The figure was released as the medical charity marked one-year since its trauma centre in the northern Afghan province of Kunduz was bombed by a US jet, killing 42 people. A US report later said that the clinic was mistaken for a Taliban position. 

Since the Kunduz strike on October 3, 2015, hundreds of thousands of people in north-eastern Afghanistan have been left without access to life-saving surgical care, MSF said.

Meinie Nicolai, president of MSF Belgium, said at a press conference in Kabul that the charity wants to reopen the Kunduz clinic, but there is still no timetable.

MSF repeated its call for the UN Security Council to implement a resolution it passed in May that called for the protection of hospitals in war-zones such as Afghanistan, Syria and Yemen.

Last update: Sun, 02/10/2016 - 18:48

More from World

South Korean president backs constitution change to allow second term

The South Korean constitution should be changed to allow the president a second term in office, and the terms...

Iraq military denies Turkey's participation in Mosul campaign

The Iraqi military Monday denied that Turkish forces were participating "in any manner" in the campaign to recapture...

21 Maoist rebels killed in major anti-insurgency operation in India

At least 21 Maoist rebels were killed in a clash with police in south-eastern India Monday, in the country's...

AT&T tops Bayer: the five biggest mega deals of 2016

With AT&T's offer worth over 100 billion dollars for media giant Time Warner, the US telecom firm has surpassed...

Islamic State storms strategic western town in Iraq counter-attack

Islamic State militants on Sunday seized parts of a strategic western town in Iraq in an apparent response to an...