Nepal's prime minister on Sunday visited one of the sites devastated a year ago by an earthquake that killed more than 8,800 people.
KP Sharma Oli laid wreaths at the Dharahara monument in the capital Kathmandu, where 200 people were buried in the earthquake, the biggest casualty total recorded at a single site.
The premier was scheduled later to visit Sindupalchowk district, the area worst hit by the 7.8-magnitude quake last year.
A subsequent earthquake registering 7.3-magnitude caused further death and damage. Hundreds of aftershocks followed over ensuing weeks and months.
Nepal is still struggling to begin reconstruction work in the aftermath of the earthquake that completely destroyed 70,000 homes.
International donors had pledged 4.5 billion dollars, but less than half of that has been received, according to authorities.
The government is lagging behind in its own commitments, have failed to complete the lists of qualified beneficiaries, and managing to spend only a small fraction of money it does have for reconstruction.
“We managed to build a bricks shelter from the material we retrieved from our destroyed house, since it looks like the government help is never coming,” Rameshwor Kunwar of Chobhar, told dpa.
Kunwar and his daughter were rescued from the rubble that their house had been reduced to by the earthquake.
The former sculptor suffered spinal injury that paralysed him, and he depends on his younger sisters to provide for the family.
“The only relief we received was 15,000 rupees (about 140 dollars) for corrugated metal sheets and then 10,000 rupees for the warm clothes. We have yet to hear about the house grant,” Kunwar said.
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 17:11