New York mayor says no terrorism link in blast that injured 29; second device found blocks away

A powerful blast injured 29 people in the Chelsea neighbourhood of Manhattan and a second suspicious device was found blocks away, New York police said Sunday.

Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters the explosion, which took place late Saturday outside a building on West 23rd Street, was an "intentional act" but said there was no evidence yet of a terrorism connection.

The blast blew out nearby windows and hurled debris across the street, images posted on social media and surveillance video showed.

According to the New York City fire department, 29 people were injured, of whom 24 people were hospitalized.

A second suspicious device was discovered at short time later on West 27th Street. A bomb disposal unit removed it from the area for analysis, police said.

The device was described as a pressure cooker with wires coming out of it, US media reported citing law enforcement sources.

The White House said President Barack Obama was receiving updates on the investigation.

The New York City incident comes after a bomb hidden in a garbage container exploded Saturday in the state of New Jersey along the planned route of a charity run sponsored by the US Marines, causing no injuries.

De Blasio said there were currently no indications of a connection to the earlier blast in New Jersey.

In depth coverage

25 people injured after explosion rocks NYC's Chelsea neighbourhood

At least 25 people sustained non-life-threatening injuries after an explosion rocked New York City's Chelsea neighbourhood Saturday night, the New York City Fire Department said.

Read more
Last update: Sun, 18/09/2016 - 09:21

Bomb explodes along planned route of US military charity run

A bomb hidden in a garbage container exploded Saturday in the north-eastern US state of New Jersey along the planned route of a 5-kilometre charity run sponsored by the US Marines.

Read more
Last update: Sat, 17/09/2016 - 21:39
Last update: Sun, 18/09/2016 - 10:31

More from World

US State Department releases more Clinton emails

The US State Department on Friday released 112 emails from Hillary Clinton's email account that had been recovered...

Cyberattack downs major websites; US investigating

Major internet sites including Twitter, Paypal, Netflix and Spotify were offline in parts of the US and Europe...

Burkina Faso foils coup attempt, minister says

Burkina Faso's government has foiled a coup attempt involving the former presidential guard, a senior government...

Aid workers: No "security guarantees" to move wounded from Aleppo

Aid workers said they lack the necessary "security guarantees" to evacuate the wounded from rebel-held eastern...

Canada: Efforts to resolve impasse over EU trade deal failed

Canadian Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland says it appears "impossible" to conclude a free trade deal with the...