At least one person was killed and four others injured when armed men attacked the headquarters of Congo's two largest opposition parties, an official said Tuesday.
About 50 armed men set fire to the headquarters of the Union for Democracy and Social Progress (UDPS) and the Innovative Forces for Union and Solidarity (FONUS) in the Congolese capital, Kinshasa, in early hours of Tuesday morning, UDPS secretary-general Jean-Marc Kabund told dpa.
“We have witness reports that the men were wearing police uniforms,” Kabund added.
The attacks are believed to be in retaliation to Monday's massive opposition protest against a postponement of presidential elections, during which 17 people were killed and almost 60 others injured.
The unrest comes after Congo's electoral commission last week requested the constitutional court consider postponing November elections, saying preparations could not be completed in time.
President Joseph Kabila's second term in office will end on December 19. A new election date has not yet been set and the opposition is concerned the 45-year-old ruler is trying to extend his rule.
According to the constitution, the electoral commission must call for presidential elections 90 days before the end of a president's mandated term.
Under Congo's constitution, Kabila is not eligible to seek a third term.
Monday, September 19, 2016 - 19:09
Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 17:32
Thursday, May 26, 2016 - 20:29