Oxfam report warns of humanitarian catastrophe in conflict-hit Yemen

More than 3 million people have been forced from their homes in Yemen in 18 months of war, international aid group Oxfam said Wednesday, warning of a humanitarian disaster.

In the report entitled Picking Up The Pieces, the British charity interviewed more than 1,000 people living in the midst of the conflict.

Nearly one in five people Oxfam spoke to said their homes had been destroyed, and two-thirds had been displaced for 10 months or longer.

Almost two-thirds of the people interviewed said that familymembers had died or had been injured as a result of the conflict, andnearly half the families were looking after unaccompanied children.

"Half the population does not have enough food to eat. In some areas, the delivery of food has been deliberately obstructed," the report said.

The conflict intensified in March 2015, when the Iran-allied Shiite Houthi rebels advanced on the southern city of Aden, prompting Saudi Arabia and fellow Sunni allies to launch a campaign of airstrikes against the group.

Saudi Arabia fears that the rebels will give its regional rival, Shiite Iran, a strategic foothold on the Arabian Peninsula.

Oxfam said that life for millions of Yemenis is deteriorating fast and "they are running out of ways to survive."

Some Yemenis told the charity they had lost hope of returning to their homes, and many of those who tried "find unexploded ordinance and destroyed schools, factories and health centres."

Oxfam, which is highly active in Yemen and has reached 900,000 people with aid since the beginning of the conflict, urged the Saudi-led coalition and Western nations to "stop fuelling the conflict" by suspending weapons' supplies to the warring sides.

It also called on the Yemeni government to implement and abide by a nationwide ceasefire.

Last update: Wed, 21/09/2016 - 08:40

More from World

India’s key Muslim shrine to lift ban on entry to women

A trust that runs Mumbai's Haji Ali mosque said on Monday it will revoke a ban on women entering the inner sanctum...

3 civilians, trooper killed in India-Pakistan border clashes

Three civilians and a trooper were killed while several were injured in cross-border firing between the forces of...

South Korean president backs constitution change to allow second term

The South Korean constitution should be changed to allow the president a second term in office, and the terms...

Iraq military denies Turkey's participation in Mosul campaign

The Iraqi military Monday denied that Turkish forces were participating "in any manner" in the campaign to recapture...

21 Maoist rebels killed in major anti-insurgency operation in India

At least 21 Maoist rebels were killed in a clash with police in south-eastern India Monday, in the country's...