Report: Iraq Kurds capture child suicide bomber en route to attack

Iraqi Kurdish forces say they have captured a young boy wearing a suicide explosive vest who was sent to blow up a Shiite mosque in Kirkuk, in the north of the country, broadcaster Rudaw reported Monday, releasing a video of the incident.

Two police officers are seen in the 30-minute video holding the arms of the boy, aged around 14, who is wearing a suicide vest taped to his body, covered by a Lionel Messi Barcelona football jersey.

The bomb was eventually defused by specialists who arrived at the scene. The incident took place after dark on Sunday.

Rudaw reported a second child suicide bomber had exploded just hours earlier in Kirkuk. The boy who was captured said the one who exploded himself was his brother, and they had both been prepared for the attacks by their father.

The use of the children came just a day after a boy, assumed to be 12 or 14 years old, blew himself in Gaziantep, southern Turkey, killing 54 people at a Kurdish wedding. Turkey has blamed Islamic State.

An Iraqi security official confirmed to dpa that a suicide bombing had been prevented in Kirkuk on Sunday and that an attack on Shiites in the area had injured three people.

Last update: Mon, 22/08/2016 - 15:21

View the discussion thread.

More from World

Venezuelans demand end to "dictatorship" in mass protest

Hundreds of thousands of protesters took to the streets in Venezuelan cities Wednesday to demand a referendum to...

Monitor: Death toll rises to 35 in bombing of Syrian rebel village

The death toll from Wednesday's airstrikes near a school complex in a rebel-held village in north-western Syria has...

US pushing for TTIP deal ahead of Obama's Germany trip

The United States said Wednesday it is continuing to push forward with a US-European trade agreement with the "...

2016 deadliest year for migrants in Mediterranean, UN agency says

This year has been the deadliest ever for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe, with at least 3,800...

MSF: 25 bodies recovered off Libya, 246 migrants rescued

Twenty-five bodies have been recovered and 246 people saved in Mediterranean Sea rescue operations, the medical...