Over 4,000 people have been killed in a military offensive against the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in south-east Turkey, the state-run news agency Anadolu reported Monday.
The Turkish Army has killed 3,600 PKK fighters since July, Anadolu reported, adding that 355 security force personnel and 285 civilians had also died.
In total more than 5,000 PKK fighters have been placed "out of combat," the report said, including some 600 who were in prison and hundreds who were wounded.
The PKK did not confirm the number of killed fighters.
The pro-Kurdish opposition party, the HDP, said some 500 people had died since July. They could as yet not be identified as combatants and among them the majority were civilians, the HDP said.
A ceasefire between the PKK and the Turkish government broke down in July. Since then, Turkey has been carrying out a major offensive against the PKK in the south-east of the country.
Several districts have been under curfew for weeks. Currently the cities of Sirnak, Nusaybin and Yuksekova remain under curfew.
Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 14:58
Sunday, January 3, 2016 - 17:38