Seoul: North Korea fires rockets, hours after UN sanctions vote

North Korea fired several short-range rockets off its the eastern coast Thursday, South Korea said, just hours after the UN imposed its strictest sanctions ever on Pyongyang.

The rockets were fired in the morning from Wonsan on the east coast, and all fell in the sea, a Defence Ministry spokesman said.

The sanctions on Kim Jong Un's regime agreed in New York are aimed at stopping North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile programmes, following a nuclear test and a rocket launch by Pyongyang earlier this year.

The resolution bans the sale of a range of luxury items and all weapons, including small arms, to North Korea, as well as the export of certain minerals from the country.

It also imposes travel bans and asset freezes on 16 individuals and 12 entities, and closes loopholes Pyongyang has used in the past.

The text was agreed after it was drawn up by negotiations between the United States and China, traditionally North Korea's only significant international ally.

Beijing said Thursday the new sanctions were the "necessary price" to pay after after Pyongyang's test nuclear explosion on January 6, and a long-range rocket launch on February 7, Xinhua news agency said in a commentary.

Last update: Thu, 03/03/2016 - 11:51

More from World

US abstains for first time from UN vote condemning Cuban embargo

The United States abstained for the first time in 24 years from a vote in the UN General Assembly urging an end to...

Venezuelans demand end to "dictatorship" as tensions surge

Venezuela's political crisis escalated Wednesday as the opposition announced a general strike and threatened to...

Monitor: Death toll rises to 35 in bombing of Syrian rebel village

The death toll from Wednesday's airstrikes near a school complex in a rebel-held village in north-western Syria has...

US pushing for TTIP deal ahead of Obama's Germany trip

The United States said Wednesday it is continuing to push forward with a US-European trade agreement with the "...

2016 deadliest year for migrants in Mediterranean, UN agency says

This year has been the deadliest ever for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean to Europe, with at least 3,800...