Syrian opposition demands aid and weapons after pausing peace talks

Syrian peace talks cannot continue unless more humanitarian aid reaches civilians and the truce can only hold if rebels get more weapons, leading opposition envoy Riyad Hijab said Tuesday in Geneva.

In addition, the UN-brokered peace talks with the government can only be resumed if the regime stops violating the ceasefire, he said.

"It is not suitable to be in negotiations while people die in bombings, from hunger or under siege," he said one day after his delegation announced it would pause its participation in the indirect talks with the Syrian government.

The government has been blocking aid convoys to areas besieged by its army in the past weeks, according to the United Nations.

"There is no cessation of hostilities on the ground because those that violate are not held accountable," Hijab added, pointing to alleged violations by the army and its military ally Russia.

In addition, Hijab demanded weapons for opposition rebels, as a condition for keeping the truce that has been in place since late February.

"To sustain the truce - it cannot be sustained by keeping the opposition from weapons," he told reporters.

"The regime is using the truce. They get weapons and munition and change balance," he added.

The Syrian army has been aided by Russia.

Arab Gulf countries and Turkey are thought to be the main weapons suppliers to opposition rebels, which are also backed by the United States.

Also on Tuesday, at least 12 people were killed when government airplanes raided two towns in the north of the country despite the truce, according to a monitoring group and local activists.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said five people were killed in Maarat al-Nuaman, on the country's main north-south highway south of Aleppo, and seven more in the nearby town of Kafr Nabl.

Local activists put the death toll between 20 and 30. Residents in the area told dpa residential areas and street markets were hit in the raids.

Last update: Tue, 19/04/2016 - 17:03

More from World

US State Department releases more Clinton emails

The US State Department on Friday released 112 emails from Hillary Clinton's email account that had been recovered...

Cyberattack downs major websites; US investigating

Major internet sites including Twitter, Paypal, Netflix and Spotify were offline in parts of the US and Europe...

Burkina Faso foils coup attempt, minister says

Burkina Faso's government has foiled a coup attempt involving the former presidential guard, a senior government...

Aid workers: No "security guarantees" to move wounded from Aleppo

Aid workers said they lack the necessary "security guarantees" to evacuate the wounded from rebel-held eastern...

Canada: Efforts to resolve impasse over EU trade deal failed

Canadian Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland says it appears "impossible" to conclude a free trade deal with the...