Turkish minister: Military operation in Cizre in south east completed

The Turkish army has ended its two-month operation in the south-eastern city of Cizre, Interior Minister Efkan Ala said on Thursday.

Operations had been concluded in a "successful way," Ala said, according to state-run news agency Anadolu.

The Turkish military has been engaged in an operation against the banned Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) in the largely Kurdish south-east since December.

Curfews have been imposed in Silopi, Cizre and in the Sur quarter of Diyarbakir, a major Kurdish centre.

Ala said the curfew would remain in force in Cizre.

The government declared the operations in Silopi to be "largely" complete at the end of January. Since then the curfew in the city has been restricted to night hours.

The military announced Thursday that it had killed 600 PKK fighters during the Cizre operation. The pro-Kurdish HDP opposition party has put the number of civilian deaths at 79.

Last update: Thu, 11/02/2016 - 17:26

More from World

Venezuela's Maduro threatens businesses with seizure over strike

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro threatened businesses considering joining a planned national strike Friday,...

Official: 772 militants killed since launch of Mosul offensive

Iraqi joint forces have killed 772 Islamic State militants since the launch of the offensive this month to dislodge...

End of an offshore era? Panama signs tax transparency treaty

Panama signed an international convention for tax transparency Thursday, agreeing to work with other countries...

Twitter cuts more jobs, ends Vine app in pursuit of profitability

The social media service Twitter will lay off about 9 per cent of its workforce worldwide, the company announced...

Lights out for Venezuela legislature amid political crisis

A power cut left Venezuela's National Assembly in the dark Thursday just before it was to open debate on a planned "...