Two buses collided with a fuel tanker in Afghanistan's central Ghazni province on Sunday, setting all three vehicles ablaze and killing more than 50 people.
Aminullah Amarkhel, the police chief of Ghazni, said 52 people had died.
However, the official count on the number of dead and wounded varied as the authorities were still seeking clarity on the number of passengers in both buses and the truck.
The accident took place as the buses were en route from the capital Kabul to the southern city of Kandahar.
Health Ministry spokesman Ismail Kawusi put the number of dead at 73.
Meanwhile, Ghazni Governor Amanullah Hamim said: "In today's incident, we so far have recovered 14 bodies, including two women."
Hamim said he couldn't confirm the overall death toll, adding that the women were recognized from their jewellery.
"We have information that there was a total of 120 to 125 passengers in the vehicles," the governor said. "However, the passenger manifests have not been checked for both buses."
The governor said that President Ashraf Ghani had called him.
Sunday, May 8, 2016 - 12:15