Body pulled from mud and rubble in China after typhoon, 26 missing

A body was retrieved from the debris of dozens of houses destroyed in a landslide in eastern China's Zhejiang province as a result of heavy rains brought by typhoon Megi, the authorities said on Thursday.

Fifteen people had been pulled out of the mud and rubble alive on Wednesday, but a further 20 people were still missing in the village of Sucun. Six people were missing in the village of Baofeng, also in Zhejiang, following a similar landslide.

A landslide killed one person in neighbouring Fujian province after Megi made landfall on Wednesday, bringing with it heavy rains and winds that reached speeds of up to 118 kilometres per hour.

Television images showed people wading knee-deep through the streets of Fujian's capital Fuzhou and emergency workers using inflatable rafts to rescue others who had been stranded by the high waters.

Megi, the third typhoon to strike the region in two weeks, arrived in China after bearing down on eastern Taiwan with 198-kilometre-per-hour winds and torrential rains on Tuesday.

Officials from Taiwan's Central Emergency Operations Centre (CEOC) on Thursday increased the number of dead from the typhoon to seven from four and revised down the number of injured to 662. It also forced the evacuation of over 15,400 people.

Last update: Thu, 29/09/2016 - 16:23

More from World

Turkish army claims to have "neutralized 105 terrorists" in a week

The Turkish military says it has "neutralized 105 terrorists" in the south-east of the country in a six-day period,...

First case of Zika virus discovered in Myanmar

Authorities confirmed the first case of the mosquito-borne Zika virus in Myanmar, according to a statement from the...

Historic deal reached on the world's largest marine protected area

Twenty-four countries and the European Union have reached a historic deal to designate 1.55 million square...

Venezuela's Maduro threatens businesses with seizure over strike

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro threatened businesses considering joining a planned national strike Friday,...

Official: 772 militants killed since launch of Mosul offensive

Iraqi joint forces have killed 772 Islamic State militants since the launch of the offensive this month to dislodge...