UN: Two migrant children die each day crossing eastern Mediterranean

At least 340 migrant children, an average of two per day, have died in the eastern Mediterranean since September, United Nations leaders said Friday.

Many of the children who drown are babies and toddlers, and the actual number of deaths was likely higher, according to the statement issued by the UN's refugee agency (UNHCR), the UN children's fund (UNICEF) and the International Organization for Migration.

"These tragic deaths in the Mediterranean are unbearable and must stop," said Filippo Grandi, the UN high commissioner for refugees.

The three organizations issued their appeal as government leaders of Germany, France and Greece were meeting in Brussels to discuss the inflow of migrants to Europe. The European Union last week issued steps that Athens should implement to better control its borders, where most migrants cross from Turkey before moving along to wealthier northern and western European countries.

Many children were trying to join relatives who are already in Europe.

Since the start of the year, at least 410 of the 80,000 migrants who crossed the eastern Mediterranean have died, a manyfold increase over the same period last year.

Last update: Fri, 19/02/2016 - 13:17

More from World

Russia loses re-election bid for UN Human Rights Council

Russia failed to gather enough votes at the UN General Assembly on Friday to be elected to serve a further three-...

FBI investigating additional Clinton emails

The FBI says it is reviewing new emails that could be relevant to its investigation into Democratic presidential...

Putin says no to Russian military request to resume Aleppo airstrikes

Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday turned down a request by the military to resume airstrikes on the Syrian...

Erdogan: Turkey is an inspiration for the world

Turkey serves as an inspiration for the world, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan proclaimed on the country's Republic...

Houthi leader: Rebels did not launch missile targeting Mecca

A Houthi leader on Friday denied Saudi allegations that Shiite Houthi rebels launched a ballistic missile from a...