United Nations has asked Congo to repatriate its 925 peacekeepers from the Central African Republic due to unpreparedness, a UN spokesman said Saturday, following allegations that some members of the contingent had sexually abused local women.
Three of the peacekeepers in the Congolese contingent of the 11,000-strong UN peacekeeping force had been accused in August of sexually abusing three young women in the town of Bambari, north-east of the capital, Bangui.
The contingent had been found wanting in terms of equipment, recruitment and discipline, said Charles Antoine Bambara, spokesman for the UN mission to Congo, adding that it would be replaced by soldiers from some other country.
Progress made by Congolese troops “only partially meets the requirements set by the United Nations in terms of equipment, vetting and preparedness,” UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in New York.
Congo had sent a mission to CAR to investigate the sex abuse allegations, but the mission concluded that the three suspects were innocent.
The turmoil in CAR, which has killed thousands of people and displaced about 1 million, began in March 2013 after Muslim Seleka rebels overthrew president Francois Bozize, a Christian.
Monday, February 8, 2016 - 20:26
Friday, January 29, 2016 - 17:59
Monday, February 8, 2016 - 14:38