US hostages released in Yemen

Two US hostages have been released by Houthi rebels in Yemen, a spokesman for the US State Department said on Saturday.

The unidentified pair had arrived safely in Oman, according to Mark Toner, who thanked Yemen's neighbour for mediating the hostages' release and acknowledged the Houthis' "humanitarian gesture."

The move came almost a week after Washington said it was launching a review of its support for the Saudi-led bombing campaign against the Shiite rebels following an airstrike on a funeral at which 140 people were killed.

Riyadh, after first denying involvement, on Saturday admitted that "mistaken information" had led Saudi coalition forces to carry out the attack.

According to the UN, 6,500 Yemenis had been killed by June 2016 since Saudi Arabia launched its campaign in March 2015 in support of internationally recognized President Abd Rabu Mansour Hadi.

Millions more are suffering serious food and water shortages and a cholera outbreak has also been confirmed in the capital Sana'a.

Last update: Sun, 16/10/2016 - 02:54

More from World

US State Department releases more Clinton emails

The US State Department on Friday released 112 emails from Hillary Clinton's email account that had been recovered...

Cyberattack downs major websites; US investigating

Major internet sites including Twitter, Paypal, Netflix and Spotify were offline in parts of the US and Europe...

Burkina Faso foils coup attempt, minister says

Burkina Faso's government has foiled a coup attempt involving the former presidential guard, a senior government...

Aid workers: No "security guarantees" to move wounded from Aleppo

Aid workers said they lack the necessary "security guarantees" to evacuate the wounded from rebel-held eastern...

Canada: Efforts to resolve impasse over EU trade deal failed

Canadian Trade Minister Chrystia Freeland says it appears "impossible" to conclude a free trade deal with the...