Two staffers of the Serbian Embassy to Libya were probably not killed in a US airstrike last Friday against an Islamic State chief, the Pentagon said on Wednesday, as reported by Agence France-Presse.
The information we have does not support Belgrade's claims that two Serbs were killed in that strike, spokesman Jeff Davis said, adding that the bodies of one man and one woman whose photos have been circulated on social networks should show far worse injuries had they indeed been killed in the bombing.
"The state of the remains was not consistent with having been killed in an airstrike of this magnitude and intensity," Davis said, adding that they were continuing to examine the information they had.
On Saturday, Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said the death of the two embassy staffers kidnapped last November was caused by the US bombing of an Islamic State training camp the day before. US authorities immediately voiced their doubts, saying US drones had been monitoring the location for weeks and had not noticed any civilians.
The Feb 19 strike on the camp outside the Libyan city of Sabratha killed about 50 people.
Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 15:10
Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 21:50
Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 11:42